Followers

Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Can you home school and still let your kids attend public school?

Yes you can! This year I'm giving myself a bit of a break by putting my twins in half day kindergarten and my big girl in third grade. I think at the ages they are now, it would be beyond me to sit with them each day and try to do school work. I also have my little one to think about. She has always had older siblings around and this will give me some one on one time with her. School starts in two days. So why did I spend half an hour experimenting with surface tension with my kids? Why did I have them draw observations of the experiments? Why did I correct their spelling in their science notebooks? Because I love to teach, and I am still a home schooling mom and we are still a home schooling family. The kids enjoyed the hands on learning. I learned that my son was much better at drawing than I thought he was. I saw my big girl take extra time on her handwriting and was able to give her praise for improving her skills. I will continue to lead my children in math, science, reading, and history. Teach them geography and math skills. We still go to the library often and currently I'm reading the Guardians of Ga'hoole series with my oldest. I showed my kids where Hurricane Irene was on a map. These kids need more than public school to truly thrive. I love being a part of their education too much to stop. I don't know if next year will be public school or home school, or both. But I'm looking forward to quieter afternoons with my pre-schooler and much learning with all my children. It's going to be a good year!

No comments: