Followers

Wednesday, February 2, 2011

How about I break it down one week at a time?

For the first week of February, our dinner menu is:
Tuesday: Buttermilk pancakes, sausage, orange slices
Wednesday: Beef stroganoff, wheat rolls, green beans
Thursday: Home made chili, corn bread
Friday: Banquet pot pies (I never get these, I need the pie tins for a project)
Saturday: Boxed mac and cheese (we had dinner plans that fell through, so I had to think quick)
Sunday: Creamed pork chops, steamed rice, green beans

Here's what my grocery list looked like: (I estimate prices before shopping)

vanilla 2.00
dish washer soap 2.00
fabric softener 2.00
milk 2.00
breakfast sausage 3.00
navel oranges (4) 2.00
ground beef 2lbs 6.00
tomato sauce (4) 2.00
sour cream 3.00
mushrooms 1.00
butter 2.50
green beans (4) 4.00
pot pies (12) 10.00
onions 3.00
diced tomatoes 1.00
cream of mushroom (2) 1.00

Estimated total: 46.50

I bought a can of peaches for 1.00 and got 79.00 cash back. No more ATM fees! Then I got to work on my shopping list. Here are the actual prices. (I calculate as I shop.)

vanilla 8oz 1.18
dish washer soap 4lbs 2.27
fabric softener 80count 3.68
milk 1 gallon 1.98
breakfast sausage 2boxes of 10 1.96
navel oranges 4=2.24lbs @ .68/lb 1.52
ground beef 1.70lbs 5.54
tomato sauce 4@ .48 1.92
sour cream 1lb 1.18
mushrooms small can .48
butter 1lb 2.48
green beans 4@ .58/can 2.32
pot pies 12@ .58 6.96
onions 6 @ .58/lb 2.33
diced tomatoes 1 can .53
cream of mushroom 2@ .50 1.00

Actual total was 37.33
so I decided to grab some laundry soap for 5.98 (10lb box)

Then Natalie wanted a snack, and we had to get enough for everyone, so I got four little bags of m&m cookies for .30 each.

Total after taxes was 45.62

On Tuesday, we had oatmeal for breakfast .10 each(already had ingredients) Then we ate six pot pies for lunch (had boys I tutor over, and one boy did not want a pie)
.58 each. Brandon took a cup of noodles to work - .28 for him.

Dinner with the missionaries: Buttermilk pancakes 3-5 inch pancakes per adult, two pancakes for each kid. I am on a diet and had cold cereal for dinner. (had all ingredients, made from fresh buttermilk, not mix), two boxes of breakfast sausage, (10 people/20 links= 2 links per person. (I gave mine to the missionaries) Four navel oranges sliced and piled on a plate= several orange triangles on each plate. We drink water with our meals. 3.48 of the groceries I bought on Monday went into this meal. We averaged about .39 per person for dinner, plus maybe .50 for me who ate cold cereal with all that milk.

On Wednesday: We had oatmeal for breakfast. Home made bread for our PB&J sandwiches, we also have rolls from the same dough. We had rolls for a morning snack. A lady at church sent some cookies home with my husband last night, so each kid had a cookie too. Then for dinner I am making beef stroganoff, green beans, and more rolls. I already have the top sirloin from last week's extras, so I am using the sour cream, mushrooms, and half an onion for the sauce. I already have egg noodles in food storage. I will use one or two cans of green beans, and make rolls from scratch. It's hard to say how much half an onion costs unless I haul out my kitchen scale, which maybe I will when I cook dinner, but anyway, that's the first two days this week accounted for and nobody is starving to death! Time to start some wheat rolls for dinner!

No comments: