Followers

Monday, March 14, 2011

Shopping with kids

Today I thought I'd try to get back into home school issues since that was why I started my blog in the first place. This applies to anyone who has to shop with kids though. Read on!

The number one rule about shopping with kids is: Don't! If at all possible, leave them at home!
Obviously this isn't always an option or I wouldn't be posting about this.

When you have to take them along, spend some time in the car outlining a few basic rules. Here is our list of rules for shopping with Mom:
1) Stay together! Safety first. Everyone needs to keep up and stay as a group in parking lots, store isles, and lines.
2) No yelling! It's just bad manners.
3)No asking for anything! This is my rule. It makes it easier when I can show my kids that I have a list in my hand and say "That's not on the list." But really the kids have learned not to ask at all.
4) No yanking on, riding on, walking in front of, or pushing, or pulling the shopping cart! If you've ever tried to get around with four kids yanking on a cart, you understand why I have this rule.
5) Finally, no touching any merchandise.

These are my rules, and we review them in the car on the way to the store.

Now we know that children respond well to rewards and praise, so when I take them with, I remind them that if they can obey the rules (and make the old folks smile at us), they can each choose one piece of chocolate from the bulk bins at the end of our shopping trip. I am really strict on this. If they don't earn it, they don't get it. That way, they know I mean business. They learn fast.

One more thing we do every time: Potty first. I don't mean before we leave the house. After all, the grocery store is like 15 minutes from home. A lot can happen in that time. When we get in the store we make a beeline for the restrooms. Everyone goes, and everyone washes their hands. Then we go back and get a cart and get going on our list.

I've also started teaching my kids to stand back against one side of the isle while I look for an item on my list. This keeps them out of the way of other shoppers and gets lots of smiles from old folks:)

No comments: